Our team in the news
- Scientists detect 39 new gravitational wave events. UBC news release, Oct 29, 2020
- Des scientifiques de l’UBC aident à détecter la collision de trous noirs la plus massive jamais observée. FR24 News, Sept 6, 2020
- Astronomers observe collision of 2 black holes — 7 billion years later. Global News, Sept 5, 2020
- Largest celestial collision ever detected reveals a new kind of black hole. The Globe and Mail, Sept 2, 2020
- Black holes collide—and UBC researchers helped detect the signal. The Georgia Straight, Sept 2, 2020
- Discovery of record-breaking black hole collision surprises astronomers. CBC News, Sept 2, 2020; Yahoo News Sept 2, 2020; The Weather Network, Sept 2, 2020
- UBC researchers help detect the most massive black hole collision ever observed. UBC news release, Sept 2, 2020
- LIGO and Virgo observe gravitational waves from the heaviest neutron star or lightest black hole ever observed. UBC Faculty of Science news release, June 2020.
- What the next supernova can teach us, and why astronomers hope it will come from Betelgeuse. Science Borealis, May 2020.
- Harmonics in gravitational wave signals observed from collision of black holes for the first time. UBC PHAS news article, April 2020.
- CBC Radio: Here and Now (Toronto); The Shift (New Brunswick); Mainstreet (Halifax); Afternoon Drive (London/Windsor); All Points West (Victoria); Homestretch (Calgary); Radio West (Kelowna); Let’s Go (Montreal); Radio Active (Edmonton); Airplay (Whitehorse); Trail’s End (Yellowknife); Up to Speed (Winnipeg); Up North (Sudbury); Afternoon Edition (Saskatchewan); Breakaway (Quebec City); Quirks and Quarks on minute 44:32 (Nationwide)
- Global News Radio: Afternoons with Rob Breakenridge ( 770 CHQR); Afternoons with Jess Brady (980 CFPL); Mornings with Simi (980 CKNW)